Armament: Two Mk II talos Missile Launchers; Three 6-inch guns;
two 5-inch/38 caliber guns Complement: 1,100 enlisted; 150 officers; 150 Marines
Cleveland class cruiser, later converted to Little
Rock class guided missile cruiser. Launched August 27, 1944 and then commissioned
June 17, 1945 at Cramp Shipbuilding Company, Philadelphia, PA.
Converted in 1960 at New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, NJ. Decommissioned November 1976.
The Little Rock was the first ship to bear the
name of Little Rock, Arkansas. The only guided missile cruiser on display in
the U.S., USS Little Rock is the sole survivor of the Cleveland class, the most
numerous of U.S. wartime cruisers (29 vessels total). The Little Rock made
four cruises to the Mediterranean and two to the North Atlantic. She served with
distinction as flagship for both the Second and Sixth fleets.
USS Little Rock is now on display at this park and plays active parts in educational and
entertaining activities such as overnight encampment programs and other events.